Skip to main content

My cat is dying.

No need for a clever title--my cat Cali is dying. I should have known it--even a rotten tooth or jaw couldn't really account for this much weight loss--but it took a visit to the vet to find out.

She has a "growth", a "mass", in her stomach. The vet put her money on lymphoma but whatever it is Cali probably doesn't have too much longer.

She's 8 1/2 years old, and very sick. Even if we could fork over the thousands and thousands for a full run of treatment--surgery and chemo--she probably wouldn't live for even another year, maybe not even half that.

We've gone the mostly humane, cost-effective route. (God, that's hard to justify....) She's on cortisone right now and some pill; or some bluey stuff and a pill-form of cortisone. Whichever. They're meant to ease her pain and bring bck some of her appetite (the growth in her belly is probably causing her severe feelings of nausea/fullness).

I need to call the vet. I don't want to know too much; certainly no, and pardon the pun, deadlines and to some degree nothing too much in terms of signs and symptoms. All I want--I would be content to get even less than a month with Cali as long as it's more than a week. I just want to hear that much time is possible, plausible at least.

I've had daily cries with her as we've snuggled. I've written and am working on a poem about it. I'm beginning to accept it. It's really hard because I've never been in this position; all my previous pets have run away or been given away. I was never very close with the only two we've actually put down. So I'm still a bit overwhelmed with a sense of unfairness--for her behalf.

She's just so little, and so sweet. It was always like she never actually grew up--such a little runt, such a princess. She's gorgeous--I've posted pictures before and will post more--even now, when she's sick as hell. I remember what an adventurous, flirty, playful little brat she could be. Such a hussie. Always rolling over on her back with beckoning eyes to "present" herself as a greeting and encouragement to play. Such beautiful green eyes, with orange and black and white, smooth as silk, so gracefully distributed.


That touch of regality about her. Nothing too pompous, not monarchial; just.... She used to lie about so leisurely, as though all she wanted in life was to lay herself out in the sun on the dining room table and be content (and seen). Similarly, she's sometimes just sit and watch, quiet as can be, either observing or absorbing the goings on around her.

She used to walk so stiff leggedly outside--as though to say "dirty, dirty, ew!". She loved watching birds but (as far as I can tell) never caught one, maybe even never bothered. She did like catching bugs; those were a real triumph for her.

She still loves to snuggle. She likes being held close and stroked gently, rhythmically, along her jaw or behind her--just small, little circles or back & forths would do. She insists on curling up on your chest when you're lying down. If you're lucky, she faces you; if you're less fortunate, she'd face away....

I'm writing a poem for her. The first day we knew, I held her before heading out for a meeting. I didn't mean to cry, and I wasn't at first. But as I said "You'll always be my little girl...", it just happened. I couldn't hold it back. The poem started from this--from the things I said to her as I held her and cried. On our way to the bus, I wrote it in a note on my phone and transcribed it later.

I'm still working on it, but I'll try to post the draft to the literary blog at least. It's in a pretty good state but I want to look over it.

Meanwhile, in only a broadly ironic sense, it sucks that I only got as close to her as I am in the last 7 months. She turned out to have a food allergy (Or maybe the beginning symptoms of this tumor...? We'll likely never know.) but basically wasn't keeping anything down long enough to digest it. She lost a lot of weight then. At first she was so infuriating--puking on our stuff, constantly yowling for attention and food, so very goddamn needy--but then I realized, "Parker, she could die any day now....do we really want to yell at her in what could be her final months/weeks/days? I think she should die knowing she was loved...."

So we took care of her as best we could. We snuggled her and held her. When she puked, instead of throwing her into the side room in frustration so she could puke on the concrete or impatiently holding her firmly over paper mats made from shopping bags as she her whole body contracted viciously; we picked her up gently and rushed her to the side room and held her over the mats softly, loosely, stroking her back and cooing softly as she pumped out spew; after she was finished what was undoubtedly always a jarring, scary, painful, disorienting experience, we'd pick her up and hold her close and stroke her just the way she liked and coo softly what a good girl she was and how much we loved her.

She responded very well. She still couldn't keep food down no matter what we tried, but her neediness became so much less annoying. And even after we found out about the allergy and got her the right kind of food and she piled weight back on, we remained close. She'd still puke now and then, but really from furballs more than anything, and we still forgave her. We responded to this bonding just as much. I know I did, at least.

After our change in tactics/treatment, I'd relish the moment after I'd get in bed when she'd jump up and snuggle down on my chest, nose to nose. I enjoyed teasing her, holding her as I always have and murmuring close in her ear, "ossa 'itta gurl...." which at one point used to be "such a little girl". You can see that I was always fond of her--how couldn't you be?--but after all that, she really became "my little girl".

And now I'm going to lose her. And I just don't know...what to do.

Comments

Other things that might interest you...

On aging, and fear.

To begin with, I’m not sure you’re aware of it, but I’m middle aged. Oh? What gave it away? Using a blog as my primary literary medium?¹ Hm. But in fact, the APA defines 35 years as the end of “young adulthood.” Yeah. I found out via some shitpost on twitter when I was already 35, so it didn’t sit well with me then either. But my worries about aging began much sooner than that. See, even in my 20s, I feared I’d been wasting my life. I’d struggled with school and life and everything since graduating high school, arguably sooner, and nothing seemed to be going anywhere meaningful . I felt I had a limited social life, a dead-end job, no money, no great travels, a limping love life; I was, generally, a loser, wasting away... There were none of the usual hallmarks of success or happiness. And that scared me. Would my life have been worth it if I continued in this direction? Would it have been a “life well lived” by the end? So, this is my existential struggle. Even now, as I lurch ever nea

Changing lanes.

I was driving home in some traffic last night when I drifted, in my mind, a long way back (about 20 years) to high school. I was caught in one of those periodic traffic slowdowns as I floated back; you know, those waves of congestion that seem to pass backward through the columns of cars in each lane. (I've heard they start because someone switches lanes, and in response, a rippling emergent slowness travels backward and outward as the cars behind it accommodate the change, one by one.) What drew me back to those younger days was that, back in high school, similar phenomena of congestion took place in the halls between classes, when eddies of young humans would get caught in and around those clumps of those chatting by lockers or retrieving books. Occasionally, backups would occur when groups of people got caught in these eddies, or collided with other groups by the lockers, and slowdowns would ripple back from there. Maybe it's not exactly the same, but as I drove it seemed si

On phases and fixations.

My fixations are powerful, but they can also be maddeningly ephemeral and fleeting. And I hate that; about them and, honestly, about myself. But I’ve never really  asked why I feel that way... I'll commit immense amounts of time and energy and even money to a fixation for a few weeks, maybe even a month or two, sometimes rebranding my whole personality around it, then just...move on. I'm not sure when I first noticed this pattern—if it was always there or if it emerged and intensified over time—but it's been part of me for a long while. And every time I do, I feel such guilt and shame. Who even am I if I can't be consistent, dedicated, substantive? How disingenuous is it that nothing I care about lasts? I’ve always just accepted those feelings; I’ve never poked at them in earnest. If you can’t tell from the recent flurry of activity on this blog, I have been fixated on blogging; I mentioned in a recent post about this blog that I had a compulsion to revamp the whole bl