Skip to main content

Boys, and some lessons they've taught me.

I haven't even re-read my last post. It was an attempt to resolve or explain the resolutions I'd arrived at about the post before it. Of course I decide to write such an important, meaningful post when I'm literally falling asleep at the keyboard. Like, nodding off, sitting up, hands hitting random keys. Good timing, Chris.

Well, I wanna (briefly) restate the good progress I was trying to convey in case, you know, that post turned incoherent or misleading in any way.

From both posts, you can probably infer I was having some boy troubles. One crush in particular had caused me some serious heartache and frustration. It really sucked.

What really sucked about it was how much it resembles all my other troubles with boys, just made more poignant by how long and how badly I've liked & respected this guy. I get to fantasizing, and not just sexually mind you, and I get so attached to those fantasies and hopes. I start reading into any sign they might be true--that whatever feelings I have might be shared--regardless of whether I'm reading too much into them or not. But, chickenshit that I am, I can't bring myself to make a move. I'll let it get all but to that point then evade it.

I get myself so frustrated and angry and hurt; I sometimes project that anger on them as rejection, but really I'm probably doing most of the harm myself.

But I have such a hard time letting it go. I'm reluctant to admit it, but I get obsessed to some degree or another. Instead of taking some kind of 'first move', I fixate on what "could be". That leaves me feeling pretty worthless and pathetic, too.

The last week or so, though, I was as much frustrated with myself for feeling frustrated as I was frustrated by all this shitting around. It was getting pretty unpleasant to be inside my head.

Saturday I prayed about it. Right after writing that first post, I went upstairs and smoked a cigarette and prayed to let it go. Let the whole damn obsession go. The whole damn self-beating go. And then it occurred to me--"Do I really want to let it go...?"

I've held on to this crush and these fantasies for the same reasons I haven't acted on them: It feels nice to dream, to make believe. And reality scares me. If he actually turns me down, I won't have the fantasy anymore. I'm also just plain scared of the guy saying "No".

That was a bit of a revelation. It didn't hit me until later in the day but after that I started to let it go. I let myself enjoy the day--rain and all--and smile at cute guys who checked me out in Dupont and go to a meeting & share about all this. It felt really awesome.

By the time I went to the meeting--ironically, a step meeting that happened to be discussing the 6th step--I'd had a further realization, and shared about it. I realized that--for all the pain and hurt and frustration I attributed to others--I was the one feeding and nurturing the resentments & character defects that set me up to be hurt like this, over and over, deeper and deeper.

As I put it in my share: "If I don't feed my defects and resentments so much, they don't have to eat away at me as much."

Someone at the meeting pointed out that the steps don't actually promise to remove your defects of character and the resentments they bring you. Instead, by working the steps, you learn to be more aware of defects, to catch yourself sooner, to deal with them more maturely and healthily.

I'll hardly declare this some great feat of convalescence. But it is growth. I'm supposed to be starting a new 4th step inventory, and this seems like a fairly heartening way to go into it.

At the very least, I was able to let go of this cause for frustration, angst, anger, and pain, for now at least, and move on and let myself enjoy the rest of my life just that little bit more. It was, at the very very least, a good reminder that life doesn't have to suck if I don't want it to.

Comments

Other things that might interest you...

On aging, and fear.

To begin with, I’m not sure you’re aware of it, but I’m middle aged. Oh? What gave it away? Using a blog as my primary literary medium?¹ Hm. But in fact, the APA defines 35 years as the end of “young adulthood.” Yeah. I found out via some shitpost on twitter when I was already 35, so it didn’t sit well with me then either. But my worries about aging began much sooner than that. See, even in my 20s, I feared I’d been wasting my life. I’d struggled with school and life and everything since graduating high school, arguably sooner, and nothing seemed to be going anywhere meaningful . I felt I had a limited social life, a dead-end job, no money, no great travels, a limping love life; I was, generally, a loser, wasting away... There were none of the usual hallmarks of success or happiness. And that scared me. Would my life have been worth it if I continued in this direction? Would it have been a “life well lived” by the end? So, this is my existential struggle. Even now, as I lurch ever nea

Changing lanes.

I was driving home in some traffic last night when I drifted, in my mind, a long way back (about 20 years) to high school. I was caught in one of those periodic traffic slowdowns as I floated back; you know, those waves of congestion that seem to pass backward through the columns of cars in each lane. (I've heard they start because someone switches lanes, and in response, a rippling emergent slowness travels backward and outward as the cars behind it accommodate the change, one by one.) What drew me back to those younger days was that, back in high school, similar phenomena of congestion took place in the halls between classes, when eddies of young humans would get caught in and around those clumps of those chatting by lockers or retrieving books. Occasionally, backups would occur when groups of people got caught in these eddies, or collided with other groups by the lockers, and slowdowns would ripple back from there. Maybe it's not exactly the same, but as I drove it seemed si

On phases and fixations.

My fixations are powerful, but they can also be maddeningly ephemeral and fleeting. And I hate that; about them and, honestly, about myself. But I’ve never really  asked why I feel that way... I'll commit immense amounts of time and energy and even money to a fixation for a few weeks, maybe even a month or two, sometimes rebranding my whole personality around it, then just...move on. I'm not sure when I first noticed this pattern—if it was always there or if it emerged and intensified over time—but it's been part of me for a long while. And every time I do, I feel such guilt and shame. Who even am I if I can't be consistent, dedicated, substantive? How disingenuous is it that nothing I care about lasts? I’ve always just accepted those feelings; I’ve never poked at them in earnest. If you can’t tell from the recent flurry of activity on this blog, I have been fixated on blogging; I mentioned in a recent post about this blog that I had a compulsion to revamp the whole bl