Skip to main content

Lawlsauce, Winsauce, and a Bit of D'ohsauce. Mmm.

So as many of you probably know, I've been applying to jobs. This has provided some lulz, some win, and some ironic stress. (quick preview though: I did get a job :))

As I'm a slut for parallelism I'll ignore my preview for the moment and go for the lulz: So my first interview was last Friday. At Hollister. Me. At Hollister. That alone is lulz worthy. But the truly fappable bit comes when we actually examine one or two of the details and make a ridiculously dorky reference out of it.


The manager guy I spoke to, who got me set up with the application, was, I swear to God, made of plastic. I'm not sure whether it was whatever foundation/concealer he was using, the lack of normal shadows on his face from the dim-ass lighting, his terrifyingly wide bright eyes, the tight short afro that looked like it was made of nylon fibers, or just my being disorientated by the loud music, but he looked like one of those black Ken dolls. Seriously. It was the Hollister/Abercrombie stereotype made manifest right in front of me. Otherwise he was a really nice guy. Just, you know, made of plastic.

It, however, got me "worried"--and, of course, thinking of Doctor Who. The joke basically started like this: "Parker, you have to promise to kill me if i turn into one of....Them, ok?". An obscure DW reference quickly formed to supplant that and provide me with even greater amounts of self-amusement: "I'm scared I'm selling my soul to the Nestene Consciousness".

See, the Nestene Consciousness is this mass of psychic energy or some such that tends to inhabit/animate/control plastic--ie, mannequins, dolls, plastic daffoils, inflatable chairs, and trash cans (yes, all of that has really happened). Thus, in imbuing these plastic things with some of its consciousness, it creates among them a sort pseudo hive-like hierarchy.

This reference has made even hardcore Doctor Who nerds cringe/laugh and declare "Oh God; you, sir, are a dork". See, the Nestene usually inhabit anthropomorphic forms--manequinns or replicas of actual people--called "autons". Since autons comprise the vast majority of the Nestene's appearances (in fact, most of their episodes are called "The Something of the Autons", with no mention of Nestene), most viewers likely aren't even aware of the Nestene. So referring to the Nestene is like making a nerdier version of the distinction between Frankenstein and Frankenstein's monster.

But anyway, so yeah. It's a nerdy but appropriate reference to make--Hollister seriously is the Nestene consciousness, dude. It's people are merely possessed plastic replicas--autons--who can't really think for themselves, instead doing exactly as the hive-mind tells them. Laaaawl. That I'd so giddily make so nerdy an analogy only goes to show how bad a fit Hollister is for me.


So anyway--I did get a job; I think it's gonna be pretty ballin' though I'm bit nervous too. I got hired at American Eagle Outfitters--it'll be my first job in retail. I've never had to sell stuff before...I think I'll do well interacting with customers and shit, but I worry whether I'll meet the store's performance expectations for me :/

Still, though, I think it'll be pretty fun as I get the hang of things. Also, it'll work nicely with the waning of my other job; I've got this killer deal with a neighbor where I work in her garden/yard as much as I like whenever I like for $12/hr. Seriously. But as winter approaches the number of things to do for will start to dwindle. Coincidingly, as the holidays approach & I get more experienced, my hours at American Eagle should go up. As one fades, the other takes form. Hott.


So, the D'oh in all this is--what to do about the other jillion jobs I've applied to. I've already got 2 more interviews lined up (Hot Topic today and an administrative assistant gig that was advertised on craigslist). Part of me is considering juggling two jobs--AE and something else--especially what with the apparent fickleness of retail/the shopping season. So if that administrative assistant thing could be parttime, working both would give me something stable and something fun? Right? Cuz I'm hoping to get an apartment by the end of the year--so I need to make, like, at least $400 for my share of the rent and then more for food and stuff....

But I'll be honest: that kinda terrifies me. It's been a while since I've had even one real job, nevermind trying to juggle two. My fears and doubts and perfectionism tell me I can't do it (well enough) and that I shouldn't; my apprehension tells me to hold off until "I'm ready" or some vague unit of measure like that. But the new me--the me I've been working to develop and become more of through working my program and the steps with my sponsor--thinks that a) who knows if I'll even get the other job(s) so it's moot at this point to worry too much, b) I can't know how it'll pan out unless I at least give it a try, and c) the absolute worst that could happen is I get fired or choose to leave one of the jobs to focus on the other--none of the apocalyptic, catastrophic images my fearful mind could conjure up. So basically, whatever the future brings, I can more than likely handle it--better, probably, than I'm giving myself credit for. And until the future takes shape, I needn't worry.

Everything's going to be fine.

Comments

Other things that might interest you...

On aging, and fear.

To begin with, I’m not sure you’re aware of it, but I’m middle aged. Oh? What gave it away? Using a blog as my primary literary medium?¹ Hm. But in fact, the APA defines 35 years as the end of “young adulthood.” Yeah. I found out via some shitpost on twitter when I was already 35, so it didn’t sit well with me then either. But my worries about aging began much sooner than that. See, even in my 20s, I feared I’d been wasting my life. I’d struggled with school and life and everything since graduating high school, arguably sooner, and nothing seemed to be going anywhere meaningful . I felt I had a limited social life, a dead-end job, no money, no great travels, a limping love life; I was, generally, a loser, wasting away... There were none of the usual hallmarks of success or happiness. And that scared me. Would my life have been worth it if I continued in this direction? Would it have been a “life well lived” by the end? So, this is my existential struggle. Even now, as I lurch ever nea

Changing lanes.

I was driving home in some traffic last night when I drifted, in my mind, a long way back (about 20 years) to high school. I was caught in one of those periodic traffic slowdowns as I floated back; you know, those waves of congestion that seem to pass backward through the columns of cars in each lane. (I've heard they start because someone switches lanes, and in response, a rippling emergent slowness travels backward and outward as the cars behind it accommodate the change, one by one.) What drew me back to those younger days was that, back in high school, similar phenomena of congestion took place in the halls between classes, when eddies of young humans would get caught in and around those clumps of those chatting by lockers or retrieving books. Occasionally, backups would occur when groups of people got caught in these eddies, or collided with other groups by the lockers, and slowdowns would ripple back from there. Maybe it's not exactly the same, but as I drove it seemed si

On phases and fixations.

My fixations are powerful, but they can also be maddeningly ephemeral and fleeting. And I hate that; about them and, honestly, about myself. But I’ve never really  asked why I feel that way... I'll commit immense amounts of time and energy and even money to a fixation for a few weeks, maybe even a month or two, sometimes rebranding my whole personality around it, then just...move on. I'm not sure when I first noticed this pattern—if it was always there or if it emerged and intensified over time—but it's been part of me for a long while. And every time I do, I feel such guilt and shame. Who even am I if I can't be consistent, dedicated, substantive? How disingenuous is it that nothing I care about lasts? I’ve always just accepted those feelings; I’ve never poked at them in earnest. If you can’t tell from the recent flurry of activity on this blog, I have been fixated on blogging; I mentioned in a recent post about this blog that I had a compulsion to revamp the whole bl