Skip to main content

My apologies. ('MetalStorm', pt 1?)

*sigh.* As I'd somewhat feared, Bad Movie Monday failed; instead I'll throw together a half-assed 'Bad Movie Tuesday' even if the corny name doesn't work the same.

As I might as well have also promised the other day, this review might be a little disappointing, too. I ended up having to watch/heckle MetalStorm: The Destruction of Jared-Syn on my own, which proved to be more than just a little difficult.

Don't get me wrong; I imagine this movie could have some really great potential. However, it's a little dry. At least, so much so that I--but one, lone, tired homo--couldn't handle it all on his ownsome. Even despite its having a pneumatic gonorrhea discharging dildoman in the cast of villains.


I really want to give this movie another chance. It has a lot of awkward lines, shots, and acting, plus the hero has this constant look of bewildered displeasure--like he has no idea what's going on, ever, but is frustrated and disappointed by it all the same. This is the stuff good riffing thrives on.

"I thought you said you gave great roadhead..."

The trouble is there's a lot of scenes with no dialogue--all those pointless chase scenes for example--and although I can get a decent start with some of them, it's hard to sustain the momentum without anyone else chiming in.

Riffing, I feel, is at its most gratifying when there's other people to riff with. Even if they contribute only a little or nothing at all, just their presence seems to feed the riffing. It probably also helps to not be the only one laughing. Yeah, probably....

As was the case with MetalStorm, multiple riffers could have each contributed different kinds of jokes from their different perspectives, backgrounds, etc. With a movie like this--where nothing happens for protracted though still plainly absurd stretches--that's a necessity, it seems. These kind of spans have their own brand of awkwardness that can be funny in its own right; at the very least they give you a lot of opportunity to make riff after riff, callback after callback, and generally slaughter the movie ("You can't spell 'SLAUGHTER' without 'LAUGHTER'!"). But, again, this is precisely why I needed other riffers.

Some movies you can get away with riffing on your own. Gymkata (an upcoming attraction/review, I swear!) is like that. It's just so...silly/stupid/weird yet still tries to take itself seriously. Plus, stuff happens. Silly/stupid/weird stuff, but you have a lot to work with to make the funniez.

What sucks is I had some other riffers at the beginning. And it was terrifically funny--we cracked eachother up hardcore. But then two of them bailed to do breederly things--but just boring shit, like snuggling! So it was just me and this other fag, who apparently was tooooo tired to be useful and fell asleep. But even when it was just us two, it was still good for the riffing.

But once it was just me...some shit was still hilarious, and I still mostly had fun, but.... Frankly, I think it would have been a challenge even for the MST bots. However, their writers would watch those movies several times to accumulate a good bunch of callbacks and riffs. So maybe that's what this movie needs, too; a re-viewing.

Which I already plan to do. So this may not be the last you'll hear about MetalStorm, but whatever I do for next Monday--and future Mondays--I hope to be able to put more preparation and planning into the reviews. Often I'll regret rambling as much as I did in some reivew or forget to make some definitive joke/comment. But yeah. Metalstorm may make a comeback when I've been able to properly watch it with proper riffing.

Comments

  1. SORRY, OKAY?! GAWD. You're so freaking ghey, lol. Next time we will attempt to do better. :P

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
Or just tell me what you think.

Other things that might interest you...

On aging, and fear.

To begin with, I’m not sure you’re aware of it, but I’m middle aged. Oh? What gave it away? Using a blog as my primary literary medium?¹ Hm. But in fact, the APA defines 35 years as the end of “young adulthood.” Yeah. I found out via some shitpost on twitter when I was already 35, so it didn’t sit well with me then either. But my worries about aging began much sooner than that. See, even in my 20s, I feared I’d been wasting my life. I’d struggled with school and life and everything since graduating high school, arguably sooner, and nothing seemed to be going anywhere meaningful . I felt I had a limited social life, a dead-end job, no money, no great travels, a limping love life; I was, generally, a loser, wasting away... There were none of the usual hallmarks of success or happiness. And that scared me. Would my life have been worth it if I continued in this direction? Would it have been a “life well lived” by the end? So, this is my existential struggle. Even now, as I lurch ever nea

Changing lanes.

I was driving home in some traffic last night when I drifted, in my mind, a long way back (about 20 years) to high school. I was caught in one of those periodic traffic slowdowns as I floated back; you know, those waves of congestion that seem to pass backward through the columns of cars in each lane. (I've heard they start because someone switches lanes, and in response, a rippling emergent slowness travels backward and outward as the cars behind it accommodate the change, one by one.) What drew me back to those younger days was that, back in high school, similar phenomena of congestion took place in the halls between classes, when eddies of young humans would get caught in and around those clumps of those chatting by lockers or retrieving books. Occasionally, backups would occur when groups of people got caught in these eddies, or collided with other groups by the lockers, and slowdowns would ripple back from there. Maybe it's not exactly the same, but as I drove it seemed si

On phases and fixations.

My fixations are powerful, but they can also be maddeningly ephemeral and fleeting. And I hate that; about them and, honestly, about myself. But I’ve never really  asked why I feel that way... I'll commit immense amounts of time and energy and even money to a fixation for a few weeks, maybe even a month or two, sometimes rebranding my whole personality around it, then just...move on. I'm not sure when I first noticed this pattern—if it was always there or if it emerged and intensified over time—but it's been part of me for a long while. And every time I do, I feel such guilt and shame. Who even am I if I can't be consistent, dedicated, substantive? How disingenuous is it that nothing I care about lasts? I’ve always just accepted those feelings; I’ve never poked at them in earnest. If you can’t tell from the recent flurry of activity on this blog, I have been fixated on blogging; I mentioned in a recent post about this blog that I had a compulsion to revamp the whole bl