Skip to main content

Expectations.

The trick to expectations isn't so much to not have any as it is to identify their merit, accept their context, and allow them to change. Failure to do so? Likely causes that disappointed feeling you can never quite pin down when things don't work out.


Yesterday was my birthday; last night was going to be 'part 1' of my birthday celebrations. A sort of mild midweeky get together. I had hoped--I had expectations of--a good group of friends would come, we'd see something thought provoking, and then get some food and discuss stuff--life, the universe, and everything, or just the movie.

Why were those my expectations? I like doing those things; I value them highly. I like my friends for their points of view, their senses of humor, their articulateness; I love discussion as a means of exploring different perspectives and relishing being alive & close to people. And I love a good movie. Really, really love. I don't get to do these things anywhere near enough, and one thing that's frustrated me a lot recently is my lack of social/cultivation time. I figured my birthday would be a wonderful chance to indulge all of this and spend time with people I respect and enjoy.


It didn't work out that way--but it's ok. Besides having 'part 2' to look forward to on Saturday (lasertag. fuck yeah.), I had already figured the movie might not work out. Too little notice, mostly, plus it was a Monday night. 


See, the trick underlying the trick to dealing with expectations is that pragmatic realism type stuff I've written about. That's what I think it is, anyway.


First, figure out why you have these expectations; where they came from. Their context, if you will. Second, try to understand why they matter to you, what value they hold. Afterall, it might turn out they're irrelevant or meaningless, so you needn't take them too seriously.

This, to me, looks like pragmatic realism. You've figured out where your expectations fit in and their value, so now you can understand your expectations for what they are and work with them instead of being blindly enslaved to them.


I set up the whole movoe event barely 3 days ago. I figured it wouldn't be enough forewarning, plus I had it on a Monday night. Still, it would have been nice if it had worked out, but it didn't. It didn't 'destroy me' because that's how I looked at it: "It would be nice if this works out, but it mightn't."

Instead, I stayed home. I got some (apparently much needed) rest, had pizza with my parents and watched a movie at home. I got a couple presents from the folks; nothing crazy but still special enough. And that was that.

Frankly, I liked it.


It helps that I have this Saturday's laser warfare to look forward to. Now, I gotta figure out these expectations, too; I can't let them get too far ahead of me. Because the trick in front of the tricks to facing expectations? Never letting them keep you from enjoying yourself.

Comments

Other things that might interest you...

On aging, and fear.

To begin with, I’m not sure you’re aware of it, but I’m middle aged. Oh? What gave it away? Using a blog as my primary literary medium?¹ Hm. But in fact, the APA defines 35 years as the end of “young adulthood.” Yeah. I found out via some shitpost on twitter when I was already 35, so it didn’t sit well with me then either. But my worries about aging began much sooner than that. See, even in my 20s, I feared I’d been wasting my life. I’d struggled with school and life and everything since graduating high school, arguably sooner, and nothing seemed to be going anywhere meaningful . I felt I had a limited social life, a dead-end job, no money, no great travels, a limping love life; I was, generally, a loser, wasting away... There were none of the usual hallmarks of success or happiness. And that scared me. Would my life have been worth it if I continued in this direction? Would it have been a “life well lived” by the end? So, this is my existential struggle. Even now, as I lurch ever nea

Changing lanes.

I was driving home in some traffic last night when I drifted, in my mind, a long way back (about 20 years) to high school. I was caught in one of those periodic traffic slowdowns as I floated back; you know, those waves of congestion that seem to pass backward through the columns of cars in each lane. (I've heard they start because someone switches lanes, and in response, a rippling emergent slowness travels backward and outward as the cars behind it accommodate the change, one by one.) What drew me back to those younger days was that, back in high school, similar phenomena of congestion took place in the halls between classes, when eddies of young humans would get caught in and around those clumps of those chatting by lockers or retrieving books. Occasionally, backups would occur when groups of people got caught in these eddies, or collided with other groups by the lockers, and slowdowns would ripple back from there. Maybe it's not exactly the same, but as I drove it seemed si

Oatmeal is tasty.

{slurps up berry-oatmeal-deliciousness} Indeed. I need to work on rebuilding a morning schedule. I can be zombie-like enough that I'll waste a perfectly good morning, and have often slept through many. And, really, it's such a useful time of day.