Skip to main content

Dorktronic Toxemia

It's kinda funny--the title of this post is itself an obscure reference to Doctor Who*. But, seriously, my dorktronic levels these last few weeks have been running dangerously high....

Besides watching Doctor Who (actually, less so than I've been known to...), I've really taken to watching/mocking bad movies (have you noticed?), both already MST3k'd and not.

The other week I decided to switch over to Dvorak keyboard layout--in fact I'm trying to write this whole post with it as practice. The way I see it, the 3 biggest things I'll likely spend much of the rest of my life doing will involve lots of typing--writing, computering, and temping--and i can do without the repetitive strain injuries...yeah.

I've also been fiddling with mah linuxes lots--I've put Linux Mint 9 LXDE on my laptop. Dunno if i'll keep it or go back to regular Linux Mint or try out the KDE flavor.
Big winsauce though--ie monster dorktronics alert--I got Lubuntu working on an 11 and a half year old Mac PowerBook G3 (Lombard). Not an easy/straightforward process. Sure, the Lombard used 'new world ROM' (the first to, actually) so it was somewhat easier**, however I didn't know that or that I had to reburn the cd for the first several hours i worked on it. Then I hadda use an alternate installation disk to do a CLI (command line interface) installation and manually install the Lubuntu desktop via teh internetz because of its shit system specs (hence choosing the ultra lightweight Lubuntu...). I'm actually ridonculously proud of it--it runs almost like a real computer! Honestly, if my friend doesn't hurry up and come claim it, imma seriously keep it and use it to write great works of literature. Or just tons of hot, smutty pr0nz.


But where was I....and/or what was I obfuscating...... Oh yeah! While glorying in all this dorkery, I've been all but consciously avoiding all and every form of accountability or responsibility. Yup. The rest of my life's remained in a state of humiliating but totally personally avoidant stasis. I should prolly get on with...stuff...at some point :/

One irksome thing is I think I hurt my back last week doing all that heavy shit for my neighbor. It was good times and good pay, don't get me wrong, but awkward, bulky, and occasionally really heavy >.< What's weird is where usually I'd expect a lot of lower back pain, it's been my upper back this time--like, a vicious, spasmodic cramp in the upper left section of my back, right around my shoulder blade. Been a goddamn pain in the....back. Lawlz.

Meanwhile, I've managed to get at least some stuff done. You know, despite the want avoidance and seizing back weirdness. So that's an accomplishment, right? Ah, well, I hope so. More goodness laterly!

* Referring to the mention of "dystronic toxemia" in Genesis of the Daleks pt 2 (with the 4th Doctor! :P), which was a thinly veiled renaming of radiation sickness.

** 'old world ROM' would have required an OS 9 installation disk just to get it to boot the linux installation disk...and that's just the installation boot up..... >.<

Comments

Other things that might interest you...

On aging, and fear.

To begin with, I’m not sure you’re aware of it, but I’m middle aged. Oh? What gave it away? Using a blog as my primary literary medium?¹ Hm. But in fact, the APA defines 35 years as the end of “young adulthood.” Yeah. I found out via some shitpost on twitter when I was already 35, so it didn’t sit well with me then either. But my worries about aging began much sooner than that. See, even in my 20s, I feared I’d been wasting my life. I’d struggled with school and life and everything since graduating high school, arguably sooner, and nothing seemed to be going anywhere meaningful . I felt I had a limited social life, a dead-end job, no money, no great travels, a limping love life; I was, generally, a loser, wasting away... There were none of the usual hallmarks of success or happiness. And that scared me. Would my life have been worth it if I continued in this direction? Would it have been a “life well lived” by the end? So, this is my existential struggle. Even now, as I lurch ever nea

Changing lanes.

I was driving home in some traffic last night when I drifted, in my mind, a long way back (about 20 years) to high school. I was caught in one of those periodic traffic slowdowns as I floated back; you know, those waves of congestion that seem to pass backward through the columns of cars in each lane. (I've heard they start because someone switches lanes, and in response, a rippling emergent slowness travels backward and outward as the cars behind it accommodate the change, one by one.) What drew me back to those younger days was that, back in high school, similar phenomena of congestion took place in the halls between classes, when eddies of young humans would get caught in and around those clumps of those chatting by lockers or retrieving books. Occasionally, backups would occur when groups of people got caught in these eddies, or collided with other groups by the lockers, and slowdowns would ripple back from there. Maybe it's not exactly the same, but as I drove it seemed si

On phases and fixations.

My fixations are powerful, but they can also be maddeningly ephemeral and fleeting. And I hate that; about them and, honestly, about myself. But I’ve never really  asked why I feel that way... I'll commit immense amounts of time and energy and even money to a fixation for a few weeks, maybe even a month or two, sometimes rebranding my whole personality around it, then just...move on. I'm not sure when I first noticed this pattern—if it was always there or if it emerged and intensified over time—but it's been part of me for a long while. And every time I do, I feel such guilt and shame. Who even am I if I can't be consistent, dedicated, substantive? How disingenuous is it that nothing I care about lasts? I’ve always just accepted those feelings; I’ve never poked at them in earnest. If you can’t tell from the recent flurry of activity on this blog, I have been fixated on blogging; I mentioned in a recent post about this blog that I had a compulsion to revamp the whole bl